Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The BCS 'losing early is not as bad' debate.

/bitter fan rant engage!

Can I put it out there that if OU beats tech this weekend, and Florida ultimately ends up beating Alabama in the SEC championship, and niether lose any other games then that is your National Championship?

That seems the most likely scenario with the talking heads anyway.

In my scenario, Texas is snubbed out of the Big 12 championship and the national champions over a team they beat. This is because of the dumb Big 12 tie breaker rules. Lets use the BCS rankings to determine our Big 12 South champion... shall we have that computer from War Games make decisions about our military too?

How about something in the games, that we can all look at and agree upon and say 'ok, this sucks but they are the rule and atleast I can point to it and say blah blah blah' instead of 'the computer ranked me lower, and I don't know why /punches clown'

Lane's awesome idea that will never happen: How about point differential between the 3 head to head games of the 3 tied teams. Ex:
(I don't remember the OU UT score but i think the differential was like 10 points?)
UT beats OU by 10
Tech beats UT by 1
say Tech gets beat by 4 by OU

with my math, Texas is +9 Tech is +3 and OU is -6
atleast that gives credit to Texas's 1 point 'omg throw it to Crabtree' loss. (I did say bitter fan rant)

This also puts no emphasis on when the team losses. Why should that be a deciding factor? A team should be ranked higher because they lose early and get their shit together instead of losing late when everyone has been planning for them all year and gunning for their seat? There is no need for this debate because there are better ways of deciding the tiebreaker rules. Don't use the BCS.

Hell I would rather see a coin flip, beer pong toss off between team captains, or maybe even settled by that human sacrifice basketball game those South American indians played.

Hey, I don't spell check, proof read, check for grammar, or even care about punctuation. So.... I'm pushing publish now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well anyways... I had a paragraph in there at the top about how I was expanding on D's topic... but can we just say thats a given now?

Donovan said...

What good is a rant if you don't get so excited and/or pissed that you lose track of punctuation, words, or whole sentences.

My lone criticism would be that you didn't say fuck enough.

I'd rather have a playoff than any complicated system. Human sacrifice is my next favorite solution.